Today is a special day here in Ghana. I have now officially been in Ghana for one month! What a crazy month it has been. As I look back on it, it is amazing how much I have adapted to the lifestyle here. Things that bothered me the first week barely faze me know. For example, I have (finally) just accepted living with ants and lizards. I hardly react when I see a line of ants in my room (except when they are in my sugar). Also, I was weirded out of lizards when I first got here. Now, I just kick them out of my way. It is amazing how far your standards fall after a certain amount of time.
Life here just seems to be growing on me. I don’t have the same sense of time that I had when I arrived. The first week, I couldn’t stand how slow things move here. Nothing happens quickly and it is impossible to even do simple tasks in a timely manner. However, I have adopted a ‘go with the flow’ mentality. Now, things aren’t as bad when I have to wait forever. (Even if you have to spend 3 and a half hours trying to get one package like I did on Monday. There went my morning) However, I still find it easier to deal with life here. My biggest struggle and greatest gift has been the amount of time I have had here. It is a struggle because it is very easy to be board, but it is great because I have time to do many things that I would not normally have time for. I have probably read my bible more this month than any other month in my life. I get to read all my books (I am reading Jesus Freaks right now) and I can just relax and be. Please pray that I continue to enjoy this gift of time and can use it to the best of my ability. Also, that I can continue to strengthen my relationship with God in my time here and that I don’t waste my time.
So, now for the update of my fun and exciting life…. Ok this week has not been very eventful. Monday was filled with classes, like usual. I finally met my permanent religion professor. He seems really nice and very intelligent. I also believe that he knows biblical Hebrew. I found out that I have 2 quizzes coming up in 2 of my classes next week, so I will sure to let you all know how that goes. One is in AFS 101 and I am not quite sure what we have covered so far, but it should be alright. Tuesday- Thursday consisted of mostly reading, studying, going to class, playing basketball and hanging out with some of the people here. (I also had my first cup of coffee since arriving in Ghana! Is it a bad thing that that is what I am probably the most excited about?…) It is a bonus that everyone likes soccer here because there always seems to be a game on, so I can always go down to the lobby and watch a game if I am super board. Basketball is always another good way of killing time. I have successfully made the hall team and our first game is on Tuesday. Hopefully that will go well. Too bad our first game is against the defending champs…. Friday we celebrated Molin’s birthday by going to Oasis. I was actually able to get a hamburger and French fries (totally worth the money I spent on them) Saturday I relaxed most of the day, studied a bit and hung out with a guy from my history class. I also attempted to watch some football. I was able to watch most of the MSU game, so it was a good day. Hopefully the Lions game happens to be online tomorrow.
One more thing that I have really realized since being here was something I did not really expect. While I have been in my religion class, I really have been able to appreciate how much my trip to Israel meant. We are talking about Moses and the Israelites wondering in the desert, or Joshua and the attack on Jericho and I can see the pictures of these places in my head. It is amazing how real it makes the things we talk about. I can understand more fully what we are talking about. Also, this time that I have had to read my bible has helped as well. It is great to spend some time to really sit down and read the word. This semester I get to have hours to read and study the word and there is not very much to distract me. I can’t help but get the feeling that this trip is about me trying to find who I am in the LORD and what his plans are for me. As much as I was expecting this to be a trip where I help people, I feel that I am supposed to spend more time being quiet. I guess that I needed to go to Africa to fully appreciate Israel and that sometimes you need to get (far) away from your life to find out who you really are. Hmm, just a thought. Until next time
Jordan
WOW, Jordan...thanks for sharing what GOD is laying on your heart. So cool to hear that you are learning to "be still." In the American culture that concept is so hard to figure out and to put into practice. We will continue to pray for you and the adventure/journey you are on!
ReplyDeletehere, let me fill you in on football...
ReplyDeletemichigan > notre dame > state, therefore...
michigan > state. yup.
Hello Jordan, Nana is here and we are catching up on your posts. I am so proud of you. I am glad you have found a sense of equanimity. Not to be too weighty or anything, but you have a big job (besides school). You represent me, your family, your friends, your fellow citizens, the whole of the US, really. So I am very glad that in such a short time (1 month!) you are keeping your eyes open and embracing *where you are.* Thank you so much for that. That is a skill (a gift) to take with you wherever you go. I want my American representative (you!) *noticing, watching, taking it all in.* That tells the rest of the world Americans are capable of looking outside ourselves, of being interested in others, learning from them. GOOD GOOD GOOD for you! Much love to you my sweet nephew, Aunt Lisa
ReplyDeleteand Nana wants to know: was the coffee strong enough? do you need more? can you get smaller packages w/o going to the post office? and she loves you more than the universe is big.
xoxo :)