Friday, September 9, 2011

Hey everyone,
Sorry about the delay in updating you all. I haven't really been able to create a new post...... ok I have been lazy. However, I thought that it is finally time to give you all a glance at my last week and change.

So, I am now through 3 weeks of my classes, and they are finally starting to take shape. My first class is African Studies (AFS) 101. This is a basic class about the broad topics of culture and the study of culture, specifically here in Ghana. The class has been a little weird so far because my professor keeps talking about incest and makes many really weird crude jokes. However, the class does seem to be coming along. The major problem is that it starts at 6:30 a.m. on Monday, so I probably am not as engaged as I should be. The second AFS class is AFS 301. This class is based around the slave trade. We have talked about how the slaves were captured, where they were sent and the details around the journey. It is a really interesting class, but I feel a little weird being an American in that class... I do have 2 other Americans in that class as well, so it makes it not as weird. (btw, that is the only class that I am taking that has white people in it). My last AFS class is 424. This is probably my favorite AFS class. The subject is Africa in world relations. It is abut the Cold War and the role that Africa had during the power struggle between the US and USSR. It is really cool, but we are still on just the basics of the cold war so most of it is review right now. I also have a History class (206). It is West African Politics, but my professor has been sick so more details to come. The last class is Religion 323. This is my favorite overall class. The class is called Old Testament Studies. We have taking an objective look at the narratives of the Bible and examining weather common beliefs have any empirical evidence behind them. It is really awesome and I always seem to look forward to that class. Overall, it should be a good academic semester.

Along with my restless schoolwork, I have been trying to keep myself busy outside of class. Steve and I have been playing a lot of basketball. This past Monday we had out championship for the fresher games. Our hall (Kwame Nkruma) took on Casford for the title. After starting the game at 4:45 (it was supposed to start at 2), we lost 23-20.... It was a good game though. I thought that myself, Steve and Dominick all played very well, so I can't be too upset. I scored 10 points, so at least I had a good showing. Also, Steve, Dom and myself are all on the hall team now. Practice starts next week :)

I have also been starting to feel like I am starting to become more used to Africa and the life style. I have now successfully washed my clothes by hand twice. It really sucks to do and takes over 2 hours to do half of the dirty clothes. That one will take a little getting used to. I also got my first African haircut yesterday. It is basically a buzz cut, but I can now fit in with the Africans..... ok I still stand out, but I feel better. Last Monday, I got to watch a soccer game too. Ghana and Brazil was on, so they put it on the big screen. You have not truly watched soccer until you watch soccer with Africans. They go crazy for every play. It is great to see 1000 people cheering for a successful pass. Maybe I will try and play some football with them soon. At least I am getting used to the ants and bugs. I have officially accepted ants as a way of life here, but I will still try and fight them.

Anyway, I believe that is all for now. I think that I am going to Accra this weekend, so I will let you all know how that goes. Until then, take care :)
Jordan

1 comment:

  1. Jordan, thanks for sharing what is happening...it is great to hear you are adjusting and that your experience is going well! You are missed and being prayed for by the Gruppen family daily! We look forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete